“Association Internationale de la Mutualité (AIM) has launched a series of factsheets on health promotion and disease prevention related issues. Not only do the documents contain facts and figures on the different themes but also a series of recommendations for decision-makers as well as a list of best practices implemented by AIM members to tackle diverse challenges.”
Find more from AIM (October 2020)
“Facts and Figures
- Alcohol consumption contributes to 3 million deaths each year globally.
- More than 10.3 million disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) were attributable to alcohol use in 2016, either because of premature death or due to living with a disability.
- Harmful use of alcohol is responsible for 5.1% of the global burden of disease.
- Alcohol is the n°1 risk factor for premature mortality and disability among those aged 15 to 49 years.
- In the 20-24 age group, every fourth death was caused by alcohol.
- Disadvantaged and especially vulnerable populations have higher rates of alcohol-related death and hospitalization.
- Even moderate consumption of alcohol increases the long-term risks of certain heart conditions, liver diseases and cancers.
- Other public health problems are closely linked to alcohol consumption like injuries and domestic violence.”
Find more details from explanatory note